An update

So the whole update the blog while in the hospital did not work. So i am typing this after i got home.

Arrived at the hospital at 5 am and was up in pre-op by 6 am. Met many doctors, assistants and tons of questions.  

As usually I was a hard stick , so they ended up putting in the IV via ultrasound. As soon as they got the first IV in, they gave me something to chill out, then they numbed my arm up.  Then they put a big central line in my wrist.  I was shaved all over my chest, legs, groin.

I met my parents as I was wheeled into the OR, then it felt like a NASCAR pit crew began to work on me.  I remember somebody saying they were starting induction and I was told to breathe like normal.  I am certain that they had me under by 7:30.

Next I remember waking up in the ICU.  I wasn’t intubated, but had a full face CPAP mask on that was basically forcing me to breathe (I expected this, as I have used a CPAP for 15+ years).  

My parents were there at the end of the bed, they did not stay long, as frankly I was pretty much drugged up. 

I met my new bestest friend – my lung pillow.  Basically this pillow is what I will be hugging with every cough, move, stand, sit, car ride.  Basically I have no use of my arms for anything!  I sleep with this pillow all the time.

I think somewhere around 1 AM I got some ice chips. The BEST ICE CHIPS!!  I had a nurse 1 on one that night, I think he only left long enough to pee or get meds for me.

By 6 am that morning they were talking of getting me up out of bed.  The agreement was pain meds, let them kick in, and then I will attempt to get into the chair.

It was less painful than I thought, but I was so weak.  It was a process to get out of bed and that first time there were 3 people.  One grabbed my legs, one grabbed me by the shoulders from the front, and other from the back.  In one simple swoop legs over the side, a spin and sit-up on the edge.

I learned the rock 1, rock2, and up on 3.  I was standing, and spun a quarter turn and sat back down.  I think I got a breakfast of water, miralax, and apple juice.

At some point I was ready to go back to bed…. This did not end well.  My nurse 2 days later said they heard my screams. It was the worst pain I can describe.  I know I cursed, cried and screamed to get me sat up.  I cannot lay on my back flat.  They got me situated in bed.

Dad came over and visited, I was allowed lunch, which was chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes.  I was in and out of bed a couple times that day.  I had gotten my ipad that morning and they were so nice to charge it for me overnight on my charger.

You never sleep good in the hospital, and my favorite question through the night was “what time is it?” As I cannot see a clock with the lights down and my glasses off.

Friday I was up and in the chair for breakfast, facebooked a photo and FaceTimed my mom and some people.

Only problem I had was my bowels were not re-starting. This would take 2 days of not being able to go properly, loosing food for a day to let things simmer down.

As my bowels decided they were ready to work again I realized the most humbling experience you have….  Getting your butt wiped by somebody else.  I basically was not allowed to put my hands behind me.  I still now cannot put both arms behind me, above my head, or carry anything with both arms.

Healthcare workers. You do such a great job… and you probably don’t get half the thanks for what you do.  I tried to say please, thank you and I appreciate the help you’ve gave.

Friday afternoon they talked about moving me out of the ICU, but that did not come until Sunday evening. 

I was able to walk around the floor with a walker.  Which was 400 ft each lap.  So by Sunday I was able to do 2.5 laps over the whole day.

By Sunday night it was getting easier to get in and out of bed, or more tolerable.  I now only needed 1 person’s help to get in and out of bed, and go to the bathroom.

Monday they announced I was going home the next day and stuff was put in place for me to get help at home.

Tuesday I was given my discharge instructions and my brother came and got me.  By the time I made it home I was ready for some pain pills.

I am camped out in the living room in my power recliner for the night, I don’t count on seeing my bed for at least a week.

I slept good tuesday night I think, about 4 am I woke up and fell back asleep for an hour when I texted my mom that I needed up.  I am still not so sure about getting up alone, and that may not change.

My case manager at OSU said that they had gotten approval for a walker to be sent to my house and the insurance was going to pay for it.  Well  as of Wednesday evening, they are wanting a form sent in by the ordering doctor before they will send it to me.  All I got to say is that if this is not sorted out tomorrow morning I will be asking for a manager and getting loud (as loud as I can get).  

For Pete’s sake, I could have ordered one online and had it sent to the house already.  I have a primary care appointment and I am NOT going to be able to go without one.  Walking around the house is one thing, but I have to start therapy soon too.  I have to be able to get out and walk and I cannot safely do that without some place to brace myself or sit if I am out on a walk.

Mom got all my meds sorted out, like 15 different pills in all, is keeping me pain free as well